A few months back, one of Hubby's really close gal-pals kinda cornered me and begged me to make a baby quilt for her soon-to-be niece. The criteria.... "Non-baby, non-girly, non-pink, with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on it." Seriously?!?!?! Talk about a quilter's challenge!!
I racked my brain, scoured the internet, and read every quilting magazine I own cover-to-cover trying to find a pattern that would be easy, yet able to incorporate a large variety of fabrics. I had settled on using "Happy Dots" by Michael Miller as my patterned prints, plus I had some TMNT novelty prints that I needed to incorporate. Finally found a pattern that would show all of it off nicely...
|Bow Tie Baby Play Mat by Chris Malone for Quilter's World Magazine|
Pattern is a very basic (easy!) one that shouldn't take too long, and it's a prefect one for the prints I picked :-) Started the cutting back on August 1st and had all the solid and print squares done, as well as fussy cutting enough TMNT fabric for 8 blocks. One layer cake was plenty to do this one quilt, plus quite a bit leftover so possibly a smaller one down the road :-)
Once all the squares were cut, I got to assembling the first part of the block... snowballing one corner of each of the 165 white squares :-D Keeping the color sets organized proved to be a bigger task than I thought. (Don't mind the mess on the floor behind my ironing board... I've been "organizing" for weeks and still have a ways to go... Lol).
Getting all the blocks fully assembled took no time at all thanks to some mega chain-piecing! Got them all sewn together and then re-organized into colors. Each color technically had multiple prints (just different sized dots), so I just piled them all up by color and was ready to go!
Now, I must diverge for a moment and just talk about what little shortcut I did that made my life SO much easier!!! Used my Martelli Roundabout with the ironing pad on it on a TV tray right next to my machine. WHY DID I NOT DO THIS SOONER?!?!?!?! I LOVED how convenient it made pressing these blocks as I went without having to get up a million times to go over to the ironing board. Lol. I know this is far from a new trick.. but it's new to me and quilting won't be the same for me ever again! Lol
One all the blocks were organized by color, it was time to play with the layout. This proved to be harder than I thought it would be! I was going for kinda a "scrappy" look, so I was just putting the blocks up randomly... but my OCD kicked in and I couldn't have two of the same-sized dots next to each other, or the same color more than once in a row or column.... I was starting to pull my hair out when I finally gave in and just let things lie where they were and that was it. Lol. If I kept going.. I'd end up bald!
|All laid out and ready to go!|
Now came the fun part... trying to figure out how to quilt it! After way too much thinking on this, I decided to go with just plain echo stitching around the bow ties. Short and sweet. But those white blocks that were created from the placement totally needed something... I just didn't know what. My FMQ other than meandering still needs some work and I didn't want to practice on a quilt I was getting paid for. So... at the suggestion of my mom, I pulled out the embroidery machine and that fancy hoop Hubby bought me for Christmas last year and decided to give embroidering the blocks a try :-)
|Hooped up and ready to go!|
My current status on this project is "nearly done." I got the quilting all done on Monday with it being a holiday, and have been working on the hand-binding portion as much as I can when I get home from work. Thinking this actually should be wrapped up tonight when I get home :-) Just will need a quilt label and it'll be ready to send off, and then I can "officially" check this commissioned quilt off my To Do list :D
Linking up to Freshly Pieced's WIP Wednesday and Sew Fresh Quilts' Let's Bee Social
Also, linking back to Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation and I Quilt Thursdays at Pretty Bobbins.